Trio of Moutabel paired with Pear beauty by Dilmah (ICED TEA)
Chaminda Roziro,Patrick Njenga Mihiu,
An Iced Tea Paired with a Food Item
Ingredients for the Trio of Moutabel
- 500gm large eggplant
- 75ml Tahini (sesame paste)
- 100gm plain yoghurt
- Salt to taste
- 10ml lemon juice
- 80gm beetroot
- 50gm fresh ZaAtar leaves
- 1 small butternut pumpkin
- 1 small cucumber
Ingredients for the Pear beauty by Dilmah (ICED TEA)
- 30ml Elixir of Ceylon tea (Black tea with pear flavour)
- 30ml freshly squeezed orange
- 15ml freshly squeezed lemon
- 180ml water
- A dash of homemade ginger juice
- Stick the eggplants on a couple of skewers and grill over an open flame the skin will blacken and wither with the heat, keep turning them until the skin and the flesh is soft.
- Take them off the flame and keep them aside to cool.
- Peel the eggplants under cold running water so any blackened skin will wash away.
- Drain them overnight in the fridge to remove excess moisture.
- Chop the eggplant to form a rough pulp. Caution not to make it like a paste.
- In mixing bowl put the chopped eggplant, the tahini, yoghurt, salt and lemon juice one by one to mix well.
- This will be the basemoutabelDivide this into three parts and keep in the fridge.
Method for the Beetroot Moutabel
- Peel and cut the beetroot in small cubes and roast in the oven till cooked
- Make a pulp
- Now take one part of the moutabel and mix the beetroot pulp. Check salt and add if necessary
Method for the ZaAtar
- Chop the fresh zaatar leaves and mix with the 3rd part of the moutabel. This makes the zaatar moutabel.
- Now slice the pumpkin and cut this to a round shape about 3/4th of an inch diameter and ½ inch thick.
- Roast it in the oven at low heat taking care not to colour it but until just cooked. Scoop a little at the centre and fill with beetroot moutabel.
- Peel and cut cucumber into roundels about 3/4th inch height. Scoop the inner core half way through and fill with plain moutabel.
- Cut the small tomato to about 3/4th height and scoop the seeds.
- Fill the tomato cup with zaatarmoutabel.
- Garnish and present as shown.
Method for the Pear beauty by Dilmah (ICED TEA)
- Chill the high ball glass
- Add all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker
- Fill the shaker with ice cubes
- Shake vigorously
- Strain into the chilled high ball glass
- Garnish with a slice of pear and a sprayed orange zest