Methods and Directions
- Place the water, sugar, tea bags, cinnamon and cardamom in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Remove the tea bags and add the pears, vanilla and sea salt. Cover with a small plate or lid to weigh down the pears.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 60 minutes or until the pears are soft.
- Carefully remove the pears from the syrup, increase the heat to high and cook for 20–25 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
HONEY MILK PUDDING
- Place the gelatin and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until dissolved.
- Add the milk, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt, and heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, for 5 minutes or so.
- Pour into ½ cup-capacity (125ml) cups/moulds and refrigerate for a minimum of four hours or overnight.
ASSEMBLY & SERVING
- Mint Leaves
- To serve, unmould puddings onto preferred plates with the poached pears.
- Spoon the syrup over the pears and drizzle the dish with honey.
- Garnish with pistachios and mint leaves.
- For that extra special occasion, sprinkle edible silver lustre and silver or gold leaf onto the pears. Serves 6.
Chef’s Note: I also experimented with Dilmah’s Moroccan Mint Tea and Strawberry And Mango Tea. I infused the teas separately with the left-over syrup from the pears and gave everyone the option to have a fruity poached chai pear or a mint poached chai pear. I personally preferred the Ceylon Spice Chai poached pear syrup.